Who uses the Shred Stop?
If you have stuff to shred and don't want to hassle with your home shredder, then you are the Shred Stop's target customer. Our kiosks work equally well for home and small business use.
Why should I use the Shred Stop rather than my home shredder?
Have you used your home shredder recently? Using the Shred Stop is much faster, simple to use, and conveniently located. Unlike a home shredder, you don't have to worry about maintenance, cleaning up the mess, or replacing it in a year or two because the motor burned out. Spending a half-hour shredding tax forms from ten years ago won't get you a larger refund. You may as well get it done in under a minute.
How do I know my material was destroyed?
The blade guard on the Shred Stop is clear, so you can actually see the shredder destroy your material.
What can I shred?
Paper, compact discs, DVDs, floppy disks, file folders, or anything similar. There's no need to remove staples, paperclips, or other fasteners. Please don't shred coins, we don't count them; that's the kiosk over there.
Is my material strip-cut or cross-cut shred?
All material fed into the Shred Stop is cross-cut shred to 0.125" x 1.5" pieces. (That is Security Level 3 standard, which is usually only important for businesses.)
How much does it cost?
Our kiosk charges by the amount of time used and there is no minimum charge. Shredding a file-box of material can be done in as little as 5 minutes. Shredding that much at home would take at least two hours (and maybe up to four)! Time can vary depending on what you are shredding and how well the material is organized. Prices may vary between locations, so search for the closest one on the "Locations" page and click on the "Location details" link.
How long does it take?
On average, it takes about 5 minutes to shred a file-box worth of material. However, you control the tempo and the shredder can work as fast as you can. It can actually shred over 50 sheets of paper at a time. Unlike your home shredder that says 12 sheets, could at first shred 8, and can now shred 4.
I used the Shred Stop and entered my email address, but didn't get my receipt. What should I do?
Some email services are over-zealous in their attempt to reduce spam, so first check your "Junk Mail" folder to see if our email ended up there. If it's not there, then it's possible we didn't get the correct email address. Although we try to correct obvious problems and re-send, some are impossible to resolve on our own. So please fill out the form on our Contact Us page, double check the email you enter, and tell us some basic information so we can find your transaction. Include the name on the credit card used, the location of the kiosk, and approximate date and time. If you don't know exactly that's okay - we'll respond and ask for more information if needed.
I just used the Shred Stop. Why is there a $30 hold on my credit card?
Much like a gas station, the Shred Stop provides a service prior to our customers actually paying. To protect ourselves from fraud we pre-authorize $30 on your credit card to approve it as a payment method. As soon as you finish shredding we charge your card only for the time used, erase your card's information from our files, and release the pre-authorization hold. Some credit card providers take up to five days for any holds to clear their system.
Is it safe?
Yes. There is a heavy duty plastic guard that protects you from the blades or any debris; the 1/4" tall slot allows you to shred quickly but fingers won't fit; the blades are more than 6" from the opening; and, there is an oversized Emergency Stop button that will halt the shredder immediately.
How do I shred my crumpled up receipts?
This is definitely the most difficult item to shred at our kiosk. You simply will not be able to feed them in crumpled form, so smoothing them out will be necessary. A good strategy is to use the "Pause" button to feed receipts through the opening while the timer is stopped. Then when the timer restarts, use a piece of paper to help the receipts feed into the shredder. Another option to feed many receipts at once is to sandwich the receipts between two sheets of paper as you put the combined stack in the slot. Putting them in an envelope first would also work, as long as it's no more than 1/4" thick. If you find another strategy that works well, write to us about it and we'll pass it on.
Where can I find the Shred Stop?
Navigate to the "Locations" screen on this website to search for the Shred Stop closest to you.
What do you do with the shredded paper?
The shredded paper is delivered to a local recycling company where it is baled with mixed paper. Those bales are sold to manufacturing companies that process the paper into new products.
I have a question that's not answered here. How do I get the answer?
Navigate to the "Contact Us" screen on this website, send us a message, and we'll get back to you as fast as possible.
At the Shred Stop, we are very concerned about maintaining a safe experience for our customers. Unfortunately, credit card skimming has become a potential problem at all ATMs and kiosks. "Skimming" is when a foreign device is attached to a credit card reader or computer to record a customer's credit card information. We have taken steps to secure the Shred Stop's systems (we are fully PCI Compliant), but you can make the most impact by simply being observant. This is what the credit card reader should look like:
If any extra parts or pieces appear to be attached to the reader or if the magnetic stripe doesn't insert completely into the slot, DO NOT swipe your credit card. Please notify the store manager and we will take care of the situation. Thank you for your attention to this issue; we will continue to work dillingently to maintain our customers' privacy and safety.
We are also very careful with how we store your credit card information. We only store it for as long as it takes to complete your transaction. At that time we erase the credit card magnetic stripe information from our files. We store your name, your zip code, last four digits of your credit card, and the transaction identifier we get from our credit card processor. None of the information we store can be used to complete fraudulent transactions on your behalf.
Use of this kiosk (the "Kiosk") is governed by the following terms and conditions ("T&Cs"). By pressing the "Accept" button, you acknowledge and agree that you have read and understood these T&Cs and agree to be bound by them. If you do not agree, press "Cancel" and do not continue with your transaction. This Kiosk is owned and managed by The Shred Stop, LLC, and is installed in this location by agreement between The Shred Stop, LLC, and the owner/lessee of these premises. The owner of the premises has no ownership, rights, or authority with respect to the Kiosk.
1. The Kiosk uses industrial-grade Security Level Three crosscut shredders to destroy your documents and materials (collectively, "Materials"). However, The Shred Stop, LLC ("The Shred Stop"), makes no representations or warranties that the Kiosk will completely destroy all Materials that you input. Although the Kiosk meets the requirements of FACTA and HIPAA, use of the Kiosk does not guarantee compliance with these or any other federal, state, or municipal laws or regulations.
2. You represent and warrant that the Materials you put into the Kiosk for destruction are your own Materials or that you have all necessary rights to destroy such Materials, that destruction of your Materials is lawful, and that you use this Kiosk at your own risk.
3. The credit card used at this Kiosk will be pre-authorized for an amount determined by The Shred Stop and a hold will be placed that may be reflected on your statement for up to three days.
4. The Shred Stop monitors and collects data on all Kiosk transactions. Data collected is in no way used to track specific user behavior, but may be used to determine any actual or alleged breach under these T&Cs. The Shred Stop will comply with all police actions, including, but not limited to, providing access to data collected and to destroyed Materials.
5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES: EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN AND TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE SHRED STOP MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WHETHER ALLEGED TO ARISE BY LAW, BY REASON OF CUSTOM OR USAGE IN THE TRADE OR BY COURSE OF DEALING, AND WHETHER REGARDING OR RELATING TO PRODUCTS, SERVICES OR ANY OTHER DELIVERABLES OR MATERIALS PROVIDED BY EITHER PARTY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS AGREEMENT OR OTHERWISE, THE SHRED STOP SHALL NOT BE LIABLE OR OBLIGATED WITH RESPECT TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT OR UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY (i) FOR ANY AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF THE FEES PAID WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF THE KIOSK; (ii) FOR ANY MATTER BEYOND THE SHRED STOP'S REASONABLE CONTROL; OR (iii) FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, EVEN IF THE SHRED STOP HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, PROVIDED, HOWEVER, SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THIS LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO THE SHRED STOP UNDER SUCH LAWS.
6. You will defend The Shred Stop and its affiliates (including, without limitation, the owner/lessee of the premises on which the Kiosk is located), and the respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors, and assignees of each of them ("Indemnified Parties") against any claim, demand, suit, action, or proceeding asserted or prosecuted arising out of or relating to (a) the services provided by this Kiosk (including, without limitation, the incomplete destruction of any of your materials and/or the disclosure of any confidential information contained within the Materials), (b) any actual or alleged breach by you of any of your representations and warranties under these T&Cs, (c) any actual or alleged negligent act or omission or willful misconduct by you; and (d) any physical harm, injury or damage suffered by you in the use of the Kiosk, except to the extent such harm, injury or damage is the direct result of any act or omission constituting gross negligence or willful misconduct by the Indemnified Parties ("Claims"). You will indemnify and hold harmless each Indemnified Party against any and all liabilities, damages, losses, settlement, costs, and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys' fees, legal expenses, and costs of investigation) ("Liabilities") arising out of or relating to any Claim.
7. If the parties are unable to resolve any dispute through informal discussion and good faith efforts to reach agreement, any dispute or controversy arising out of or with respect to these T&Cs, other than disputes or controversies seeking relief from irreparable harm, shall be arbitrated in Seattle, Washington in accordance with the rules, but not under the supervision, of the American Arbitration Association.
8. In any dispute concerning or arising under these T&Cs or any transaction relating hereto, the prevailing party shall be entitled to reasonable attorneys' fees and costs, including, without limitation, costs and fees incurred on appeal or in a bankruptcy or similar action.
9. These T&Cs, and all matters or issues collateral hereto, shall be governed by and construed and interpreted in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Washington, without regard to any principles of choice or conflicts of law. The parties agree that any action or proceeding brought to enforce or otherwise arising out of or relating to these T&Cs shall be commenced and maintained exclusively in any state or federal court located within King County, Washington, having subject matter jurisdiction with respect to the dispute between the parties. Both parties hereby irrevocably submit to the jurisdiction of such courts over each of them in connection with such litigation, and irrevocably waive to the fullest extent permitted by law any objection to venue in such courts and any claim that such forum is an inconvenient forum. The parties agree that a final judgment in any such action or proceeding shall be conclusive and may be enforced in other jurisdictions by suit on the judgment or in any other manner provided by law.
10. If any term of these T&Cs or the application thereof to any person, entity or circumstance shall at any time or to any extent be determined to be invalid or unenforceable under any provision of applicable law, to the full extent the applicable law may be waived, it is hereby waived. To the extent such law cannot be waived, the invalid or unenforceable term shall be replaced by a valid term which comes closest to the intentions of the parties to these T&Cs.
The Shred Stop is committed to protecting the privacy of our customers and all information they provide to the Shred Stop, through our kiosks, our website, or any other means. Any single piece of information gathered is for a specific purpose(s) and will only be used for that purpose. The Shred Stop will not sell, distribute, or use your information for any other purpose without your express approval. Our goal is to provide our kiosk customers and website visitors with an optimal experience while minimizing the impact on their privacy rights. We respect our customers' and visitors' privacy and hope other businesses will do the same.
At Our Kiosks
Several pieces of information are gathered during a transaction at the Shred Stop's kiosks. Any data that is saved in the Shred Stop's server spends some period of time saved in the kiosk's data until it is uploaded to the server. The types of information and their purpose(s) are:
|Information||Purpose||How It Is Used|
|Credit Card Track Data||Payment of services rendered; transaction data||
|Zip Code||Authenticate credit card; transaction data||
|Details of Shredding Session||Charge amount for payment; transaction data||
|Email address for Certificate of Destruction||Send Certificate of Destruction||
|Email address for mailing list||Adding a customer to promotional email list||
On Our Website
Several pieces of information are either automatically collected from or voluntarily entered by a visitor to the Shred Stop's website. The only information automatically collected is the visitor's IP address. Any voluntarily entered information that contains payment information is transmitted using a 128-bit encrypted connection. However, any and all information received from a visitor or through their usage of the Shred Stop's site will be used for prosecution if an attempt is made to break into our system or to conduct any illegal activities through our systems.
|Information||Purpose||How It Is Used|
|IP Address||Location of user||
|Credit Card Data||Payment of services rendered; transaction data||
|Billing Data||Authenticate credit card; transaction data; email address||
|Zip Code to Locate a Kiosk||Displaying kiosk locations by Zip Code||
|Email address for mailing list||Adding a customer to promotional email list||
|Contact Form||Route website visitor comment, question or request to the Shred Stop||
Every email that is sent or received by the Shred Stop is saved permanently on the Shred Stop's email server.